Wednesday, December 28, 2011

32 Days - The Truth Will Set You Free

The Day I met Mr. Y...

He is the first person that spoke to me at painting. He was quite nervous and uncomfortable. I was a bit flattered.

At the time, I was dealing with some issues - a few months previously, it had been discovered that the artery leading to my brain had a blockage, although my doctor wasn't sure why. He prescribed me a medication to try to open up the artery, but it ended up costing me several physical and psychological side effects, especially when mixed with alcohol. When some light was shed on the situation, I asked to get off of the medication immediately. It was during this time when everything around me was changing that I first came to Hospital Arts at the Atlanta Union Mission.

Mr. Y could easily be described as a gentle giant. He had a very dominant presence, but his heart was beyond vulnerable and tender.

During Hospital Arts, everyone works either alone or with a partner and paints-by-color on a canvas that becomes part of a mural that is then sent to hospitals and nursing homes around the world. Beyond the act of painting for a purpose, a fellowship takes place amongst the people working together. Over the next few Saturdays I got to know Mr. Y as well as other volunteers and people within the program.

Mr. Y is my age. He suffers from anxiety attacks as well as other psychological issues - things that I would classify as hallucinations and paranoia. When he would talk about these episodes, asking if it was 'normal' or if I thought he was 'crazy', I was actually able to understand his strugglings because of the things that I had just temporarily been exposed to. My heart broke for him... I couldn't  imagine suffering through a lifestyle that I was only exposed to for a brief moment.

Mr. Y left the program. He needed help and attention that was beyond the dealings that this organization could provide. I did hear recent news and updates about Mr. Y. Apparently, he has put on some weight (which I'm told is GREAT news, because it reflects that he is not 'using'), he is at a place that can better cater to his needs, and he seems well.

After getting off my medication, there was uncertainty whether or not my situation would improve at all. It was a risk, but I felt that suffering through some pain would be optimal to the side effects I was experiencing. Fortunately, the pain did not return, and when they scanned the artery again, the blockage had entirely disappeared. Again, my doctor had no reason or explanation for any of it.

I truly believe that the people, situations, struggles, and hindrances in my life are placed so impeccably perfectly on my path..





No comments:

Post a Comment